Thursday 4 July 2013

Hello, Cuz!!


Sioux Falls was just what our family needed to put the fun back into the trip and to catch up on some rest.  How exciting to only have 300 kms to drive in a day!

Also exciting was our visit to the Bennetts in Omaha: my cousin Cori, his wife, Ruth, and their children, Ryan and Emily.  If you had asked me a year ago if I would be driving to Nebraska, I would have scoffed at the thought.  In fact, I had to look at a map of the US and find out exactly where Nebraska was situated.  However, life has a way of weaving people back into your lives.  My father passed away August 31st, last year.  While I lost my Dad, many relatives that I had lost touch with attended the funeral, and I was reminded of my life as a Bennett.  

Cori is six years older.  He hung out with my brother, Bobby.  His younger sister, Lori Anne, was my age, and we were buds.  The big boys didn’t have much time for us younger sisters, which of course was a reason for me to idolize them more!  How nice to be an adult now and have my older cousin, Cori, spending time with ME!!!

Omaha definitely has been the largest city we’ve been to so far on this trip.  There were skyscrapers – a bit of a contrast to all the corn fields around us!   Omaha is indeed booming; lots of headquarters are situated here.  The infamous Warren Buffet hangs his hat here.  The most impressive feature though, hands down, is the lawns.

Lawns?  Okay, not the usual tourist attraction.  But the lawns in Omaha are the most expansive, lush, and green lawns I have ever seen.  I had to fight the desire to kick off my sandals and go running through those tempting blades of green.  Mark, I’m coming out to inspect your lawn, but something tells me Cori has us beat hands down.

We’ve been looking forward to fireworks in Chicago on the 4th of July.  We were surprised when Ruth and Cori told us that the fireworks actually start on the 3rd, and that we were all invited to a fireworks party at one of their friend’s house.  We missed Kim’s oldest boys, Jared and Travis, dearly last night.  Those two pyros would have LOVED this party.  The street was shut down, and the bangs and whistles and sparks started before the sun even went down.  Levi and Theo weren’t quite sure what to make of it all, until the parachutes came out.   These are fireworks that shoot up and expel parachutes out for the young children to race to catch.  One of these missiles shot out and about 20 parachutes rained down to the excited clutching hands below.  Levi and Theo received three, and were entirely converted over to the wonder of fireworks.


                                                        Theo clearly enjoying the fireworks
Afterwards, we returned to Cori and Ruth’s and Theo was presented with his birthday cake.  His birthday is on the 4th, but we decided to celebrate with family.  Ruth and little Emily were so, so sweet and spontaneously decorated the kitchen for a birthday.  Thank you, ladies!  You’re the very best!

At some point during the day, Levi had come up to me with a great bear hug and told me that today was the very best day across Canada.  He had done the same the day before.  I take it he’s having a good time! 

Emily ended the night with a touching drawing of a love fairy with a note that we are sweet people and that she loves us.  Back at you, Emily!















Ruth Bennett, Cori Bennett, Jodine Ducs, née Bennett


Star Wars Brothers



Theo loved the little gun he found so much....he went to bed with it!

4 comments:

  1. HAPPY BIRTHDAY, SWEET LITTLE THEO!!!
    Love and hugs, xoxGC

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, GC and GD! Theo opened his card! He was thrilled to get something on the road. And Mom approves! :)

      Delete
  2. Hey Jodine,

    I snuck onto my old Facebook account tonight and saw that you are writing a blog! I like blogs, you know! Just wanted to let you know that you have a new reader. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jess,
      Thanks so much! You were the one that insired me to keep a travel blog; I've loved reading yours so much!
      We're in Travese City right now at Great Wolf Lodge. Your girls would absolutely LOVE this place. There is one just outside of Seattle if you're ever looking for a little getaway!

      Delete