Tuesday 9 July 2013

Out in the Nick of Time


Only 250kms of driving ahead of us for the day!  Yeah!  We used this as an excuse to have a leisurely morning.  Even Kim took a quick dip, although if you take a look at the photo, he wasn’t all that comfortable.  We finally hit the road around 1:30.  Originally, we had planned to take the boys into Oakville for a visit to a splash park.  I was somewhat concerned about time, though, and when Matt texted to remind me that the end of day rush hour starts at 2:30, we decided to nix Oakville and stop in Cobourg, north of Toronto, instead.
So cute I had to put it in two posts!

It’s a good thing.

Two hours behind us was the severr storm that flooded the city and crippled the highway.  We are still shaking our heads, as the day had been beautiful and sunny for us.

We have become somewhat of connoisseurs on rest stops now.  The Midwest tended to have more primitive stops, but located in great shaded areas with either water or playgrounds for the children.  Michigan had fancier stops with vending amenities and wifi, but were situated in blasé surroundings often without a single tree.  Ontario has the crème de la crème.   There are super stops, most likely controlled by the government,  called ONRoute every 50 – 100 kms.  These facilities look quite new, have a Canadian Tire gas station, a Tim Horton’s, and several other food kiosks.  There’s even a little grocery store inside.  You feel like you’re in an airport.  No playgrounds to be found, though.  One would think that with all the dollars invested into these centres, they could have thrown in a play area for kids.  Sorry fancy stops, I’d still take Wyoming-style any day.

Cobourg made up for lots, though!  Serendipity was with us for sure with our stop in this beach town.  Not only did we miss the Toronto flooding, but we had a chance to swim in Lake Ontario.   We picnicked for lunch, although Theo chased seagulls far more than he ate.  The boys changed into their suits and were off to the beach.  The splash park, which we had come there for, was quickly dismissed as being too babyish.  There was a Great Lake in front of them, and they were on a mission.













                                                                              
Shark Attack!
                                                                                

                                                                                 
                                                                                                   Getting in some piano practice



As I gazed at the sparkling water, I realized that this would probably be our last warm water stop for a while.  Everyone had warned me about how cold the Atlantic would be.  I couldn’t resist the opportunity, and went back to the van to change into a suit myself. I jumped into the water with the boys.  We now love Lake Ontario almost as much as the Okanagan.

Matt and his wife, Elaine, were only a short drive away.  He was waiting with his camera as we pulled into the driveway.  Their place is in a little town called Warkworth.  They have started building what will eventually be a self-sufficient, off the grid farm.  You can see the love and dedication they have put into their country abode.



Tired out from playing at Uncle Matt's

So, I have a cute story to tell, and it’s told out of nothing but love.  Matt, if you’re reading this, I couldn’t resist; the irony was too delicious.

The last time I had seen Matt and Elaine was on a vacation with them, their son, and my mom and a high school friend, to San Diego.  The trip had been tens; Mom is not the easiest person to be around.  She could find fault with the Pope, I’m sure.  On our last night together, we checked into a bit of a sketchy hotel.  These were the days before Trip Advisor.   The place was shabby, and Mom freaked when she saw a few bugs on the bed.  An enormous row followed, and we parted ways.  I was in tears, fearing I would never see Matt and Elaine again.

We, never ended after 22 years. 

My boys, being the troublesome duo that they are, were poking at the window screens, and when the sun went down we realized that little bugs had snuck into the house.  Matt methodically went about killing all he could find.  When he went into the bedroom, he was horrified to find out that they had gotten into the bedding.   While he wanted to change the bed, I thought it would be easier to just go through the sheets and pick the little critters out, there really weren't that many of them.    As I watched Matt on a mission, I could help but giggle that once again we were dealing with bugs in sheets, after 22 years.  I wonder what Mom would say???

Matt and Elaine keep a spotlessly clean house, by the way, which made the irony all the funnier. 

Apparently I shouldn’t have been so cocky when laughing at the situation, as when I woke up I had about 30 noseeum bites on my legs; a little reminder of my rural Alberta years.
Matt earned his stripes as an uncle.  He took the boys frog hunting and for a ride on the tractor mower.    He had little foam Disney chairs awaiting for them, but the boys found they were much more fun as weapons than chairs.

For the first time ever, I have seen all four of my brothers in one year.  Dad gave me the most precious  blessing as his final gift; that of reconnecting with my family.  Thank you, Dad, my heart is mending.

1 comment:

  1. I'm so happy for all of you. I wish all family stories had happy endings. Unfortunately too many people are stubborn and carry grudges. Here's hoping you will reconnect with your Dad's children as well. Signing off with motherly love and pride as well. Love Baba
    (p.s. I love seeing all the smiles on your boys' faces- all three!)

    ReplyDelete