Thursday 11 July 2013

No more pics :(

Rest Stop Just East of Montreal.  Last Stop for Camera :(


As we're leaving Quebec City after the delicious made to order breakfast from the hotel, we realized that the reason I didn't have my camera last night was because we most likely left it at the rest stop the day before.  I was devastated.  Fortunately, I had downloaded all of the photos before our lunch break.  Still, now I would be left with Kim's little pocket camera.  You'll notice a lack of pictures now.  I was trying to take a picture of a groups of ducks along the Miramichi river, and almost had to sit on them to get a close up picture. 

While Kim liked Quebec City, he was happy to be heading east to New Brunswick.  Apparently the lack of length in their merge lanes was getting to him.  I called 511 to see about my camera, but nothing had been found. :(
We stopped in Edmonston, New Brunswick for lunch at Mcdonalds.  I have been proud at our lack of stopping at fast food joints on this trip,  However, still bummed about my camera, I didn't feel like a picnic.

This had to be the busiest Mcdonalds I'd ever seen.  Who would have guessed??  Kim couldn't resist trying the local McLobster!  It arrived and looked nothing like the picture, but Kim did acquiesce that it was actual lobster.  I giggled at the thought of Mcdonald's serving lobster.  Such fine diners we are!

We then turned onto highway 108E for 200 kms.  We should have known better when the GPS said it would take 3 hours to arrive to Miramichi.  The road was beyond terrible.  Thank goodness Kim slept for half the way, or I would have gone bonkers listening to him fret about the condition of our van after driving such a potholed, crumbling road.  I also said a prayer of thanks that we weren't in the Mustang!

Miramichi, which had been my choice to come, was okay, but certainly not worth the two hour middle of nowhere ride.  The river was grand, and our  room at the hotel was right along side it....but Miramichi itself still did not impress.
As I sit typing here in the morning before departure, I tell myself that today is a new day.  We're leaving earlier and our early drives have been better.  We start the Cabot Trail today.  Kim has wanted to do this drive. (although to be fair he envisioned himself in his Mustang convertible, not a minivan filled with wife and kids)  Ingonish, please don't disappoint!!




7 comments:

  1. I don't suppose you had any ID, phone # on your camera? Who does? Good lesson for all of us. Use a labeller on items like thes. So sorry for your loss! Hope it's a nicer day on the Cabot Trail than we had. It was rainy, cool & WINDY! Not my favorite part of our trip. Too bad you are missing out on PEI. That was my favorite. You'll have to go back when the boys are older.Love Baba

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Darlene,
      We DID have all our contact info on...but so far no call. It was overcast today, but still warm. We're staying overnight in Ingonish and it's beautiful here. Ayaka and I went to PEI in 2005. We enjoyed it. You'd think 33 days would ne enough time, but it was a choice between the Cabot Trail or PEI, and, since I'd already seen PEI and Kim wanted to do the driving trail...here we are! No regrets, though!

      Delete
  2. I create a jpeg with my contact info on it (or even a text file) on the memory card. Set it to read-only, and you're set.

    Hop down to the Bay Of Fundy...your kids would probably enjoy it at low tide, though I just found it really muddy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tim,
      We had our contact info in the case. So far, no one's called. :( Guess I'm shopping for a new camera in St Johns.

      Delete
  3. My favourite beach is in Ingonish, NS. The waves are big though and you have to be careful of the undertow. The Cabot Trail is beautiful!! See you soon - Ali

    ReplyDelete
  4. We're staying at the Keltic Lodge, just down from an incredible looking beach. Loving it here!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cabot Trail, Cavendish Beach, hard choice...loved both. You will just have to go back some day....me, in tow....:)
    xoxGC

    ReplyDelete