Saturday 27 July 2013

Winnipeg, the Center of It All

The alarm clocked buzzed early and I was unusually cheerful.  When Kim asked why, I responded by saying that we were leaving Thunder Bay!  Unfortunately, we still had a full day's driving before completely cleared of Northern Ontario.

We kept hoping for a coffee that morning, but every time we seemed to be approaching a town, we would blink and miss it, much like we did with Wawa the day before.  Finally, we happened upon Dryden, a fairly large centre.  After picking up some crazy glue to fix a chip in the windshield, we were scoping the area for a park.  I was bound and determined to have a picnic that day.

Just at the edge of town, Kim spotted a park, and what a treasure it turned out to be! After 28 days on the road, we finally used the Coleman stove!  There was a mosaic tiled gazebo just behind the picnic area, created with tiny colored glass tiles and mixed with tiled names of patrons that had donated towards the park.  It was really quite beautiful.  The trails led down to a suspension bridge, which the boys enjoyed jumping on as their mother clung nervously to the ropes.    Levi came running back after exploring a bit and told us that this park was better than a playground!   I was once again reminded how so many great times could be had if you just scratched the surface a bit.  How many travellers had passed by this park without realizing its offerings?  On the other hand, how many parks were out there that we had missed?  We truly have a great and wonderful country.

Such an artistic structure for the park



We drove passed the Manitoba border and I was now able to say that I had been to all of the provinces and territories in Canada.  Full disclosure:  I haven't actually been to Nunavut, but I had lived in the Northwest Territories before it had separated into two, so I am somewhat giving myself a freebie.

I had a hard time keeping my foot off the gas as we neared Winnipeg.  I had wanted to come to Winnipeg for several years.  I had heard about the beautiful B & B's located along the river, and had reserved one instead of a hotel.  Prior to having our boys, Kim and I had loved B & B's.  However, these accommodations are often quite elaborate homes, which do no lend well to two rambunctious boys.  I decided to throw caution to the wind, though, and book the house of my dreams..

Whatever Thunder Bay lacked in accommodations, our mansion in Winnipeg made up for!  It was called The Columns, and we understood immediately as we pulled into the driveway.  Nestled amongst the mature trees and sprawling yards, the white columns regally gated the brick estate. The owner was also an interior decorator, and her talents were obvious.  While not new and pristine by any means, the grandeur was still exciting.  We had the family suite on the top floor.

A cute story about the rivalry between Winnipeg and Ottawa.  On our cruise in Ottawa, the guide had bragged that the skating rink on the Rideau Canal was the longest in Canada.  Our B&B host explained how that stat could be debatable.   The City of Winnipeg cleared the Assiniboine River with the Zamboni for 8.54 kms.  Apparently the City of Ottawa used square meters for their calculations, and took into account the full width of the canal.  Our fellow guests at the B&B, all from the United States, laughed at the thought that our great competition was over the length of our skating rinks, and not the size of some stealth bomber.



Our mansion by the river.

                                                                      The Columns


                                                        Posing by the gargoyles

Supper that night was at a local hangout, Mitzi's Chicken Fingers.  It felt more like a Chinese food restaurant than anything else, but the boys enjoyed the food and the atmosphere.  They ate well and behaved well; what more could I ask for?  Everyone walked away happy.

                                                              A Winnipeg Classic

Another reason that I had wanted to visit Winnipeg was for the Holt Renfrew Last Call outlet store.  Having never the desire nor means to plunk down the dollars at a regular Holt Renfrew, I had been for years curious about the discount store.  Kim took the boys back to the B&B and I hurried off, thrilled to finally be off shopping without the three downers. 

I knew something was amiss as soon as I pulled up to the mall.  It was in a scratchy part of downtown, and looked its age.  The inside was the perfect match.  Still, I pursued.  Holt Renfrew was listed on the directory, after all.  The store was so small that I walked right past it at first.  I peeked in, and the store seemed to be mainly makeup; not a dress to be found.  When I inquired, I was told that yes, it was only makeup.  No, there was no other Holt in Winnipeg, and sorry, Last Call closed down in 2007.

Six years too late.  Bummer.

We packed the itinerary for the following day; with the Royal Canadian Mint our starting point.  While the actual tour lost the boys' interest somewhat, they enjoyed the interactive displays afterwards.  Ninety percent of the coins made at the Mint are for other countries.  Outside, there was a parade of flags representing the 75 customers that the Mint proudly serves.  20 millions coins are  produced each and every day; 7 days a week, 24 hours a day.   So much for government hours!



After the tour, the boys attempted to lift a solid bar of gold. (approx. 30 lbs) I should clarify; they had wanted to pick up the bar, not lift as in steal.  They would have had a difficult time walking off with the bar, anyway... it was chained to the table plus guarded by a security officer.

                                     I don't care what the scale says, these boys are priceless!!

                                                   Attempting to "lift" the gold bar

We parked ourselves for the rest of the day at Assiniboine Park.  This park was enormous!  I am still nursing sore feet after spending the day walking.  I think we did a respectable job on touring, though: Nature Playground, Children's Garden, Lyric Stage, (we missed the free Ballet in the Park by one day) Park Café, Steam Engine, and the Zoo.  One of the highlights for me, though, was the Winnie statue. 



By now some of you might have figured out that I have quirky little travel interests.  Saying hello to the Winnie the bear statue, the inspiration behind the Winnie the Pooh books, was on my list of must-dos.  We were able to greet Winnie twice:  once at the famous Winnie statue, and again at the Winnie topiary display, which much more resembled the fabled character.

My little robins!


Theo becoming quite the artist

A topiary lane of musicians



 Through the eyes of a child:  Levi found it so interesting that the grass would grow through the road!


Zoos....designed to torment parents, I'm sure.  They require walking miles upon miles with a rented stroller that doesn't push well.  The poor boys had to lean to the far left in order to make their wagon go.  Plus all the rules: no climbing, no feeding.  Sore feet just to watch some animals sleep, basically.





Both boys crashed in the van after supper, and remained sleeping even after we carried them up all of those flights of stairs.  I suppose they were missing those long drive naps!  Winnipeg, I think you're great....even if there is no Last Call.


No comments:

Post a Comment